2018-19 School Year
Welcome back! I would like to begin by acknowledging our students and staff for their hard work and dedication during the first semester of the 2018-19 school year. Thank you for all you've done to make the first half of the year so successful. We are looking forward to an equally productive and rewarding second semester.
The return from winter break provides us with renewed energy and the great opportunity to re-establish a focus on learning. We encourage families to celebrate their student's personal achievements and to set individual and family goals. Staying focused and having a strong work ethic plays an important role in student success, along with routines, organization, time management, and study skills.
The New Year brings new opportunities and challenges for our staff as well. As a professional learning community, we are engaged in a cycle of continuous improvement as we reflect on how to prepare our students to be powerful thinkers, effective collaborators and compassionate contributors. Learning structured to include core competencies, such as digital literacy, critical thinking, and problem-solving, provides students with the skills necessary to thrive in today's world. This focus is something we are proud of and take very seriously in Kirby School District 140.
Important Third Quarter Dates and Reminders:
- With winter in full swing, please keep in mind that students should dress appropriately for the weather. Coats, hats, and gloves are essential.
- January 17: Board of Education Meeting
- January 18: Grissom Step Up @ Andrew High School
- January 21: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - No School
- January 25: Prairie View Step Up Day @ Andrew High School
- January 28: Andrew H.S. Open House/Placement Test Results for 8th Grade Students
- January 29: START Day - Early Dismissal
- February 2: Freshman Registration at Andrew H.S.
- February 5: Report Cards Issued - Please take time to review your child's progress report and communicate any concerns you may have to your child's teacher.
- February 18: Presidents' Day - Make Up Snow Day - School Will Be In Session
(This is a make up day for the snow day that occurred on November 26th.)
- February 21: Board of Education Meeting
- February 27: START Day - Early Dismissal
- March 4: Casimir Pulaski Day - No School
(If emergency days are used during the school year, students may be required to attend school on this day. Parents will be notified.)
- March 13: Kindergarten Registration – All elementary schools from 9am – 2pm and 5pm – 7pm
- March 18: Board of Education Meeting
- March 22: End of Third Quarter (Report Cards issued April 5.)
Knowing that your participation is critical to their success, we encourage and support your involvement in the education of your children. As always, please call or email to let us know if we can help your child in any way!
Follow Principal Dan Callaghan @BannesBobcats on TWITTER and FACEBOOK