School Closing Information
If KSD 140 needs to close schools due to inclement weather or emergency circumstances, families will receive a phone/email/text message and an alert will be posted on our District website. KSD 140 also communicates school closure information through social media including Facebook and Twitter.
If you need to update or review your contact information in your parent portal, please log in to your Infinite Campus Parent Portal.
Weather-Related School Closing Guidelines - Priority on Safety
We place a strong emphasis on keeping our schools open. After consulting the National Weather Service forecast and D140 Transportation and Operations personnel, the decision to close schools is normally made in collaboration with other area superintendents. Some of the primary factors considered are the safety and well-being of students and staff, severity of the weather, timing of weather events, ability of buses and cars to travel safely, and the operable condition of our buildings.
Whenever a decision is made to close school buildings or alter the schedule of in-person learning, it is based on the general safety conditions for all students and staff. The District recognizes that conditions may vary for each individual student or family. If you feel that it is unsafe to send your child to school, please contact the school office and your student will be given an excused absence. Students who are absent due to inclement weather will be given the opportunity to complete their academic work in the same manner as any excused absence from school.
As always, the safety and security of our students and staff remains a top priority of KSD140.
Where can I find information about school closings?
School Closing Information:
- Families will receive notification via phone, email, and/or text
- Kirby School District 140 Website – ksd140.org
- KSD 140 Facebook Page - @ksd140
- KSD 140 Twitter Page - @KirbySD140
- Emergency Closing Center (ECC) - EmergencyClosingCenter.com
- Chicago TV Stations: CBS, NBC, ABC, WGN, FOX, and CLTV News
- Radio Stations WGN AM 720 or WBBM AM 780
For Weather information:
- National Weather Service Website - weather.gov
Before and After School Activities and Programs:
- If school is closed for the day, before and after school activities and programs, including Ivy League, will also be cancelled.
KSD 140 eLearning Day Plan Overview:
- If an emergency closing day is needed, the District MAY elect to use an eLearning Day instead of a traditional “snow day” that has to be made up at the end of the school year. Please refer to our ELEARNING DAY OVERVIEW to review specifics of the plan, including school hours and access to D140’s digital platforms.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.