2018-19 School Year
It is hard to believe we are already beginning the fourth quarter of the school year. All third through eighth grade students will engage in the Illinois Assessment of Readiness (IAR) in March and April. The IAR will assess our students’ proficiency in English language arts and mathematics. Additionally, our fifth and eighth grade students have just completed the Illinois Science Assessment (ISA). This assessment is aligned to the Illinois Learning Standards for science incorporating the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). Students, faculty, and staff have worked on the necessary skills to make sure everyone is prepared and confident in taking these assessments.
Registration packets for the 2019-20 school year will be sent home with students on Thursday, April 18. Please watch for them and call your child’s school office if you do not receive one. The registration packet should be returned as soon as possible. In order to qualify for the discount on fees, you must return your packet by Friday, May 3. For your convenience, online payments can be made through our website at ksd140.org.
In May, students will be assessed using Measures of Academic Progress (MAP). We use MAP assessments to determine students' instructional level and to measure academic growth throughout the school year and from year to year in the areas of Math and Reading.
Important Fourth Quarter Dates and Reminders:
- With spring, comes spring fever. Please remind your student that there is still a lot left to accomplish during the final few months of the school year.
- March 25 - March 29: Spring Break - No School
- April 1: Classes Resume - Welcome Back!
- April 5: Report Cards Issued
- April 10: START Day – Early Dismissal
- April 18: Board of Education Meeting
- April 18: Registration Packets for the 2019-20 school year will be sent home with students. Please return them ASAP as this information helps us with planning for next year.
- April 19: Special Holiday - No School
- May 3: Deadline for Discount on 2019-20 School Year Fees
- May 3: START Day - Early Dismissal / Eighth Grade Parties
- May 9: South Cook Math Bowl for grades 5-8
- May 10: South Cook Math Bowl for grades 1-4
- May 16: Board of Education Meeting
- May 22: District Spelling Bee
- May 27: Memorial Day - No School
- May 30: District Track Meet
- June 5: Prairie View Graduation Ceremony at Andrew High School
- June 6: Grissom Graduation Ceremony at Andrew High School
- June 10: Last Day of School - Reports Cards Issued
I also wanted to let you know that this will be my final year as Principal of Millennium Elementary School. After more than 22 years of being a part of District 140, it is time to embark on the next chapter of my life. Thank you for your support and commitment to Millennium. I am very proud of what we have accomplished together as a school community. I will always treasure the memories of the many families I have come to know and the friendships and support of the Millennium staff and the many dedicated professionals throughout the District.
Please join me in welcoming Ms. Julianne Cosentino as Millennium’s new Principal. Ms. Cosentino has worked in the District for 21 years and was most recently Fernway Elementary’s Principal for the past four years. I am confident that under Principal Cosentino’s leadership, Millennium will continue to thrive.
Finally, as the school year draws to a close, I'd like to express my gratitude to our faculty, PTO, and our families for their continued support and commitment to our school. The strength of our community and the passion to provide an exceptional educational experience for each of our students is what makes our school so special. I am truly grateful to have been part of such an extraordinary team.
Have a safe, restful, and enjoyable summer!
Mary Jo Werbiansky