School Closing Information
In the event that Kirby School District 140 needs to close schools due to inclement weather or other safety-related concerns, families will receive notification from SchoolMessenger, our electronic messaging system, and an alert will be posted on our District website. KSD 140 also communicates school closure information through social media including Facebook and Twitter.
If you need to update or review your contact information in your SchoolMessenger account, please log in to the SchoolMessenger website. Directions for indicating your contact preferences, including whether you wish to receive notifications at additional phone numbers and through text or email, can be found on this site. Additionally, all accounts have a mailbox feature, which allows you to review messages you may have missed.
Weather-Related School Closing Guidelines:
We place a strong emphasis on keeping our schools open. After consulting the National Weather Service forecast and D140 Transportation and Operations personnel, the decision to close schools is normally made in collaboration with other area superintendents. Some of the primary factors considered are the safety and well-being of students and staff, severity of the weather, timing of weather events, ability of buses and cars to travel safely and the operable condition of our buildings.
KSD 140 recognizes that it is first and foremost a parental decision as to whether or not a child should attend school on inclement weather days. D140 allows an excused absence if parents elect to keep their students home because they have concerns about them traveling safely to or from school. As always, please notify your school office if your student will be absent. Students who are absent due to inclement weather will be given the opportunity to complete their academic work in the same manner as any excused absence from school.
As always, the safety and security of our students and staff remains a top priority of KSD140.
Where can I find information about school closings?
School Closing Information:
- Families will receive notification from SchoolMessenger, our electronic messaging system
- Kirby School District 140 Website – ksd140.org
- KSD 140 Facebook Page - @ksd140
- KSD 140 Twitter Page - @KirbySD140
- Emergency Closing Center (ECC) - EmergencyClosing.com
- Chicago TV Stations: CBS, NBC, ABC, WGN, FOX, and CLTV News
- Radio Stations WGN AM 720 or WBBM AM 780
For Weather information:
- National Weather Service Website - weather.gov
Before and After School Activities and Programs:
- If school is closed for the day, before and after school activities and programs, including Ivy League, will also be cancelled.